Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Los Colores de Mexico


The Colors of Mexico! They are everywhere, inescapable. Like the music. Co
nstruction workers singing on the job, bands playing for special events outdoors, my neighbor a few blocks up the hill playing his favorite lovely music mornings before sunrise, birthday celebrations. Due to the warm climate and no glass on our windows, we hear everyone else's celebrations. Just a while ago, I think I heard the church band playing. I love it, cause it is so vastly different from life in the States. Where if someone invaded someone else's quiet space, the police would be called. Here, there is no cop called after 10 p.m. when your neighbor's private party goes on til 2 am or later, which happened last saturday night. It sounded like karaoke next door, some occasional bad singing, but mostly I heard what sounded like a professional singing, with others joining in to sing. Then lots of laughter, continuously. I finally put the ear plugs in at midnight.

Back to the Colors of Mexico. Like the music, it enriches us. Right now the colors I see are in the sky, for it is sunset over the ocean. Blue, pinks, lavender, gray blue, slate blue, hot pink. So many shades, and the ocean a different shade of blue/gray/ice. I looked through all my Mexico photos from trips in the past 3 years to pick out the most colorful ones and came up with so many I can't include them all here. I could link them to a photo sharing website I think. Colors of flowers, flowering trees, houses, buildings, cemeteries, pinatas, tiles, walls, clothing, tour buses, food, butterflies, hammocks, art, textiles, cowboy boots, indigenous costumes, pink flamingos,. it just goes on and on, the abundance of color in our lives here.




No comments: