I am surprised how much better off I feel, thus far, this summer compared to last. It is not quite as hot at this house location. I sweat ,but not half as much as in the other house. Hate to admit it, but maybe I am am acclimatizing myself. The rains are creating beauty all around and these big gorgeous flowers just opened up. I am surrounded by lush green mountains in three directions, blossoming orange Tabachin trees, oodles of various flowers (tons of Bouganvilleas), and the incredible blue ocean in front of me.We have two fruit trees, papaya and key lime or lima (Spanish for li
me). It is hard to find a yellow lemon to buy here, the limes are everywhere. I pull them off the tree, cut it open immediately to squeeze into my cold sparkling water for a refreshing beverage on a hot day. We use them to make our fabulously delicious mango/lime sorbet. Key lime pie is next on the list, maybe today!
The papaya tree produces an unusual fruit, quite different from the store bought papayas. These are a more delicate flavor and the flesh of it is creamier.
I feel good about not using as much electricity here as Minnesota. No air conditioning (its true!) but some fan usage, but only in the room we are occupying. No electric or gas clothes dryer, for I hang them out on the line and they dry quickly. No heating bill, although last December and January were a little cool in evenings, and we put on jeans and sweaters. Remember, we don't have glass windows on all openings, many are only screened.
I have to say I feel healthier living in Mexico, which is likely due to a better diet (mostly all whole natural foods and eating more local food, especially fresh fruits and vegetables). Without access to fancy bakeries, Sebastian Joe's Ice Cream, Byerly's pies, we now do without! Our sweet cravings are satisfied by getting out the baking ingredients and make cookies, or if really feeling the need, a chocolate egg cream drink (from Victor's New York youth: Hershey's chocolate syrup stirred with milk and add sparkling water). Ice cream? If we want it, generally we have to make it ourselves. The local ice cream shops don't appeal to me. Thus, diet, much more sunlight, fresh air which is much less polluted than in urban areas, more exercise due to walking everywhere in a small town (tomorrow I walk downtown to go pay my phone bill, buy fresh produce), and living in natural beauty and (from my house I don't see garbage and plastic, but when I go walking I see it). I have less headaches here. After living 30+ years in an urban area, the differences are huge. All I have to do is go out on my patio and see all the natural beauty around me and it keeps we lifted up and feeling good. Even on a gray cloudy rainy day, it is beautiful to the eyes.
The sunsets continue to amaze us with their beauty and variations, for no evening is ever the same.If you are planning a trip to Puerto Vallarta and surrounding areas, even Guadalajara, a great site is Moon Travel Planner that gives you detailed information on Puerto Vallarta and surrounding areas, including the coast of Nayarit, the lovely old mountain towns not far away, and more.
4 comments:
nice photos. i think lima means lemon and limon means lime.
I wasn't sure: so looked in dictionary and it said a lime is lima in Spanish, and a lemon is a limon in Spanish. Maybe it varies by the region you live in.
I think it varies by where you live. In spain it is lime=lima lemon=limon. In parts of Mexico it is the opposite. Strange. Every we went in Mexico it was lime=limon. I think in La Penita it is lime=limon. check this out: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=147869
It is highly variable.
http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=147869
147869 got cut off in my previous post.
Post a Comment